How to Apply to the Program
To be considered for graduate admission at San Diego State University, you must follow the 3 step process outlined below. For more detailed information regarding the admissions process, please visit the Graduate Admissions Website.
Step 1: Complete the Cal State Apply Application by February 1, 2023.
Each applicant must submit the California State University application electronically at the Cal State Apply Website along with the $70 nonrefundable application fee. Once you have submitted the Cal State Apply application, you will be assigned a RedID number, which will be e-mailed to you within 3-5 business days. Your RedID number will allow you to track the status of your application through your my.SDSU account.
Step 2: Submit Official Transcripts & Test Scores to the Graduate Admissions Office by March 1, 2023.
After you have submitted the Cal State Apply application and received your RedID number, you will need to send official transcripts and test scores to the Graduate Admissions Office. Sending transcripts before submitting the Cal State Apply application will result in processing delays.
You must provide the following:
- Official transcripts (in sealed envelopes) issued within the last year, from all U.S. colleges and universities attended. Students who previously attended SDSU need only submit transcripts for coursework completed since last attendance. Hard copy SDSU transcripts are not required.
Students with international coursework must submit both the official transcript and proof of degree. If documents are in a language other than English, they must be accompanied by a certified literal English translation. For country specific requirements, please see the Graduate Admissions Country Information website.
- TOEFL scores are required of all applicants, regardless of citizenship, whose native language is not English and whose preparatory education was principally in a language other than English. A minimum score of 80 is required. Scores should be sent directly from ETS using SDSU’s Institution Code 4682.
The above listed materials should be sent to:
Graduate Admissions Office
San Diego State University
5500 Campanile Drive
San Diego, CA 92182-8225
If you have questions regarding Steps 1 and 2, please contact the Graduate Admissions Office at (619) 594-6336 or e-mail [email protected]. International applicants may contact the International Recruitment Office at (619) 594-6336 or email [email protected].
Step 3: Submit Supplemental Documents to Interfolio by March 1, 2023.
Complete this supplemental program application by March 1. If you have any technical issues completing this application, please contact Interfolio. For all other questions, please contact the program. This application consists of forms, document attachments, and confidential letters of recommendation.
- Three letters of recommendation from professors who are familiar with your abilities
as a student. The letters must be submitted on letterhead and must include: contact
information of recommender and a wet signature.
- Statement of Purpose (600-800 words, written in Spanish). Please consider the following aspects:
- Describe (briefly) your academic personal history
- Relate your personal goals with our Spanish MA program
- Explain your short-term and long-term academic or personal objectives
- Express your intention for a Teaching Associate (TA) / Graduate Assistant (GA) position
Note: This Statement of Purpose for the Department is not to be confused with the one required on the Cal State Apply application.
- Writing sample (preferably a research paper or essay written in Spanish that was submitted
in an undergraduate course from 6 to 10 pages in length.)
- One unofficial copy of your transcript
If you have questions regarding Step 3, please contact the Department of Spanish and Portuguese at (619) 594-6588.
AdvisingDr. Lauren Schmidt
Office: AL 119 | Phone: (619) 594-1245 | Email: [email protected]
Quick LinksSDSU Catalog | SDSU Class Schedule | College of Graduate Studies | Guide to the M.A. Program | M.A. Program Flyer