cloth from Guatemala

Undergraduate Advising

Spanish Advising

Paola Martinez
Email: [email protected]

Scheduled Advising Appointments
Schedule an appointment with Spanish advisor Paola Martinez on EAB.

If you cannot make these hours or have an advising question or issue that can be handled via email, please email us at [email protected]. We will respond M-F within 24 hours.

Portuguese Advising

Ricardo Vasconcelos
Office: AL-117 | Phone: (619) 594-6583 | Email: [email protected]

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Major in Spanish

Please see the major page for more information.
Yes. The requirements for both majors must be satisfied. Units for courses that could satisfy the requirements in both majors can be counted only once. Only one diploma will be granted but the diploma and transcript will note the completion of each major.
Please contact our undergraduate adviser, Paola Martinez at [email protected] or schedule an appointment for more information.

To track your progress towards graduation, refer to your degree evaluation in your my.SDSU account.

Once you have determined that you are eligible to graduate, you need to submit a graduation application and the non-refundable application fee. Graduation is based on the successful completion of all of your degree requirements by your date of graduation.

Visit the the SDSU Office of Evaluation's graduation page for further information.

Having a degree in Spanish gives you career opportunities that are not available to only English-speakers. The ability to effectively communicate in Spanish opens up new vistas for you in an increasingly globalized world. 
No. However, after you obtain your bachelor's degree in Spanish, if you wish to teach at the elementary, junior high, and high school level, you can apply for the teaching credential program through the College of Education. 
No. You must complete a Master's degree in Spanish. Please see the undergraduate adviser for additional information regarding teaching at the high school or community college level.

Minor in Spanish

Please contact our undergraduate adviser, Paola Martinez at [email protected] or schedule an appointment for more information.

Minor in Portuguese and Brazilian Studies

Please contact our undergraduate adviser, Ricardo Vasconcelos at [email protected] for more information.

Spanish Proficiency Test

Yes. Be advised that the exam is only given several times during the semester. For exam dates and registration information please visit the Testing Services website.
The exam is pass or no pass. There is no numerical score that you must meet.
After taking the exam it takes about 3-4 weeks for the exam to be graded. The department will receive the scores and contact the students. 
Congratulations, your part is done! The department will send a form that states that you have successfully completed your language requirement for graduation to the office of the registrar. That office will process the form and apply it to your record. 

Certificates: (1) Spanish for the Professions and (2) Translation & Interpretation

Study Abroad

No. You must ask the undergraduate adviser for a clearance form for study abroad.
Visit the SDSU Global Education office website or call their office at (619) 594-2475. Also, be sure to check out at the Aztecs Abroad resource to help you get the process started. 
Yes. You must go to the undergraduate adviser so they can review and approve your classes. The study abroad office provides the form you need.
Maybe. It is possible to file a request for Academic Adjustment after you bring an actual syllabus or a formal catalog description of the courses to the undergraduate adviser.
It will depend on the ongoing COVID-19 situation. However, you will not be penalized. It is most likely that if the current situation continues the university will issue a blanket waiver for the international experience requirement for graduation. We recommend that you continue to check your university email for updated information and communicate with your advisor. 

High School Equivalencies

Bilingual/Heritage Speakers

We recommend you speak with the undergraduate advisor. There are specialized courses for you that are equivalent to courses in the “regular” courses in the department. They take into account the Spanish skills you already have and build upon them.

We highly recommend that you take these courses rather than those in the “regular” track because you will not have to learn aspects of the language that you already know. They have been designed especially FOR YOU. 

Please see our Spanish for Bilingual Speakers page for more information.

No. If you take 301 you need to take 302. Please contact the undergraduate adviser for further clarification.

International Business Major

Regular Track 

  • SPAN 301
  • SPAN 302
  • SPAN 307
  • SPAN 497

Heritage Speaker Track 

  • SPAN 381
  • SPAN 350, or 491, or 493
  • SPAN 307
  • SPAN 497

Please see the undergraduate adviser for additional information regarding each track.

Also, check with the appropriate International Business adviser. 


Quick Links

SDSU Catalog | SDSU Class Schedule | Spanish Program Brochure